Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Silence


There is a lot written about keeping quiet and the benefits to that. I've never been one to keep my mouth shut; in fact just the opposite. My tendency is to tell you everything that's happening for me.

However, what I've been noticing is that I often feel robbed of an experience, once I try to share it with others. It is really rare that I am truly able to communicate exactly what I'm thinking, feeling or imagining, and more often then not, I end up feeling frustrated and disappointed.

Yesterday, driving through Yosemite, and again today on my way here to Redding, I had the thought that I would not talk. The first time I decided not to talk, I was able to go maybe five minutes, before words spontaneously and thoughtlessly burst through my lips (and I was ALONE)! I think the second time was even shorter. I keep trying, though.

I notice my experiences feel more intimate when I don't blabber them about. Instead, I share with myself.

We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence.... We need silence to be able to touch souls. ~Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment